Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Sharing

Yesterday I took the LIRR to visit a foster family on my first solo "home visit." The foster parents run a daycare out of their home, so there were about 12 toddlers zooming around, in addition to the little guy I was there to check on--I'll call him Joey. Joey and his foster mom and I went into the living room to chat. (Our agency has to check on every foster child at least once a month to see how things are going, if there are any major concerns, if the house is still safe and comfortable for the child, etc.) During our chat, Joey retrieved a bag of Sunchips from the snack bin and started eating them and sharing them with me. The foster care system can be such a tangled, frustrating one that it's small interactions like this that remind me why I'm here and give this work meaning.

No comments: