Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanks!

I can't believe it's almost the end of November. Even though Thanksgiving was a few days ago, I've decided to use this post as a space to share what I'm thankful for.

1. I'm incredibly thankful for my fellowship at Umoja.

November has been super busy for me. The Writers Workshop has been moving along (mainly smoothly but with a few bumps in the road). Much of the responsibility for the program is in my hands now. It's strange/exciting to be setting meetings, creating agendas, really lead-facilitating, and making decisions about how I would like the group to be run. I'm already starting to think about what I want the next semester to look like. I've also been helping out with student leadership on Wednesdays. It's fun to get to know some more of the students within the school, get further practice facilitating, and work within a different realm of Umoja. The job is exhausting and as supportive as the staff is, it really helps to know that I have the support of my family... which brings me to my next point.

2. I'm thankful for my family.

I love that my family is available to talk, troubleshoot, etc. whenever I need them.

It was too expensive to fly home for Thanksgiving and Christmas so I decided to just fly home for Christmas. My sister came to visit me in Chicago for the week of her Thanksgiving vacation. It was a lot of fun showing her around (I took her to the November open mic at Manley where I work) , and doing touristy things such as seeing (and taking a picture on) the Sky Ledge of the Willis (prev. Sears) tower. She was impressed with my cooking and thought I was more mature!

3. I'm thankful for my mentor and her generosity.

My mentor, Becky, happened to be at Umoja on Tuesday. While we were catching up, I mentioned to her that my sister was in town. Becky asked me what we were doing for Thanksgiving and I said we were just going to have a small dinner at my place. Without hesitation, Becky asked me if we would like to come over to her house for Thanksgiving dinner. After I discussed it with my sister, we decided to take Becky up on her offer. It was really nice spending time with Becky's family and friends. Even though I was not with my own family, I was in such good company. Becky's sister even asked me if I wanted to spend Christmas with her family! (too bad I'll be back in NYC)

4. I'm thankful for the awesome people around me.

Chicago is a really great city and I'm glad this is where I've begun my professional life. The city's really easy to navigate, the people are super friendly (something my sister could not get over... if only New Yorkers could be so nice), and there is so much to do.

The fellows from Princeton, U Chicago, and Northwestern have really come together. There was a Thanksgiving dinner (hosted by two awesome Princetonian fellows) and it was a big success. I've attached a picture from that night. It's nice to have a sort of built-in social network since I'm not from Chicago and did not come here knowing many people.

I appreciate knowing that I can voice any concerns (though I haven't had to do so) to P55 folks back in Princeton or our Chicago contacts.


No comments: