Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Random Days

I have found that at NYCCD there are often opportunities to help out with projects that I am not really part of. Last Friday, I volunteered to assist one of the psychologists with a presentation for a program called Incredible Years because her usual assistant couldn’t make it. We trekked over to Staten Island to work with a group of Head Start teachers on promoting emotional competence and school readiness. It was so interesting to hear the stories of many teachers who work in an environment very different from NYCCD. They talked about everything from parents who climbed the jungle gym during conferences to children who demanded too many hugs. Some of my “Random Days” spent outside of my usual projects and environments have been my most memorable and exciting. I hope I’ll remember to sign up for “Random Days” even after my fellowship.

No comments: