Friday, April 27, 2012

Reaction to Bully

Earlier this month, CEP sponsored a free screening of the documentary Bully, which tells the stories of five kids who are the victims of severe bullying--two of whom committed suicide in response to the actions of their peers, and, in most cases, the inaction of the adults in their schools who were supposed to provide support for them. Neither Carol nor I were able to attend the event due to previous commitments, so we decided to go see it after work today. I strongly encourage everyone to go and see it. It is heartbreaking to see what these kids and their families are going though, but it reflects a highly disturbing reality, and, in some schools, a normality. Time and time again throughout the movie I was confronted with memories from my own school years that convicted me as being guilty of the same lack of compassion and courage that I saw in so many of the bystanders to bullying being filmed. I was ashamed and disappointed in myself, and I feel more compelled than ever before to reach out and help kids who are marginalized in this manner--whether it is because they are gay, or they have a disability, or they just don't fit in with the other kids, or they are otherwise easily targeted as a victim. CEP's work is obviously very relevant to the anti-bullying movement, but sometimes, when I spend day after day working in fundraising, I feel one step removed from this mission. Bully was a forceful reminder of how meaningful CEP's work is, and I am more driven than ever before to continue to make a difference post-fellowship in the lives of children who have an increased risk of being bullied.

If you're interested in learning more about Bully and what schools can do to eliminate bullying and foster positive, nurturing cultures, I'd recommend reading a blog that CEP's Vice President Joe Mazzola wrote in response to attending the White House screening of the film.

No comments: