Tuesday, April 26, 2011

If I blog, maybe I'll jinx the thing...

But I think the weather around here's starting to improve. (57 as I write this. Not supposed to dip below the high 40s the rest of the week. Yes, I know that the San Franciscan Fellows are reading this and laughing.)

So, too, the state of Illinois' legislative approach to education appears to be improving. (Warning: gratuitous plug.) It's an interesting reminder of what my organization prides itself on: delivering top-down, policy-focused, systemic solutions to problems.

I think an analysis of fellowship placements would be neat, breaking down the different varieties of partnership organizations. Direct service & programs. Advocacy. Legislative change. Work with the law. Teaching, tutoring, counseling. The way it is now, all these things are lumped together under the broad moniker of "public service". Which makes sense to a great extent, and certainly builds a multifaceted program, but it would be rewarding to dig deeper, see what exactly people are doing while Fellows, and what they are moving on to after their fellowship year concludes. Seems easy to work up using existing data and surveys. Maybe these documents exist, and I just have not read them yet...

No comments: