Thursday, June 23, 2011

Home Sweet Home

So I've never blogged before...so please forgive the awkwardness. I just wanted to say that for future fellows DC is amazing! I'm sure New York is great, and San Fran is beautiful, but there's no city like DC. From the food to the people to the nightlife...DC culture stands out in its own unique way.
Last week I attended a Brazilian Festival, ate at Zaytinya (a middle eastern restaurant/lounge downtown) and this week is DC's annual Caribbean Day Festival!! I'll be meeting up with Princeton Alums Jessica Gray '10 and Yolisa Nodule 10' to see what the festival has to offer. Let's just say the city's been keeping me busy.
As far as work I love working at a high school particularly a charter school in DC with an emphasis on public policy. Yup...that's right...public policy issues are incorporated into every subject of the students' curriculum. It's so intense but really good preparation for the students. I started the first week of June, (right after graduation) which was a bit of a transition but it didn't take long to get back into the swing of things. Princeton prepares you well for that. ;-) Anyways, I love working in an environment with teenagers because literally there was never a dull moment. Every morning I arrived to something new and different. Students kept me updated on last night's episode of Basketball Wives, Lil' Wayne's new love ballad single, the latest facebook revolution and of course, the teacher conspiracy of the week. :-) Angels...all of them...really. Now that its summer and the children are out of school, things have certainly quieted down but there is still lots to be done. Preparing for summer school, comparative analysis of standardized test scores, academic calendars, new teacher hires, remodeling, admin retreats, program development, college counseling, new student orientations...the list goes on but I love every minute of it. Plus my boss is amazing. Shout out to Daneen Keaton one of the coolest principals ever!!
Yeah but I'm not sure how long these blog thingys are supposed to be or how serious/professional but those are my reflections for now. I'll keep everyone/anyone who decides to follow this updated.

Happy fellowing,
Kahina

No comments: