Sunday, June 26, 2011

Learning Lifeskills in New York

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone asked me “are you excited?” The answer is absolutely, especially now that I have finally got all my stuff moved out from Ohio and into my apartment. Needless to say moving is my least favorite activity in the world, and was expecting the worst case scenario similar to the move out of my freshman year dorm in Cuyler Hall (pouring down rain, lightening, terrible parking, and an understandably unhappy mother.) Granted it was completely my fault that freshman year. When my mother offered to help me move my stuff, I assumed she meant that she would help put everything into boxes. She on the other hand thought that by helping me move, all she would have to do after arriving at my dorm was to load perfectly packed boxes into our car and drive the ten hours back to Ohio. It was a classic case of teenage obliviousness and parental miscommunication.
This move has been, to my pleasure and surprise, the best move of my life. I suppose it technically began with my move after graduation back to Ohio. With the assistance of my Aunt Beany, my mother, and Matt, I was able to miraculously pack almost all of my belongings into the two cars. Unfortunately, in a temporary fit of frustration and not being able to take everything back with me, I apparently left all of my hangers and alarm clock. I did not discover this until unpacking today, which made hanging my clothes impossible. For all the fellows who have yet to move to their new locations, I would recommend a minimum of two days (one day to get all of your belongings physically into your room, another day to get things relatively arranged, and also to have time to go exploring in the area and to familiarize yourself with the streets.)
I could not think of a more perfect way to transition into the “real world”. My room is about the same size as my my college rooms with a window looking out onto 34th street and is right by the East River. What is arguably even better is that I finally have a full sized bed, meaning I no longer have to worry about falling out of my twin XL bed since I have a tendency to roll in my sleep. Other perks to getting out of the orange bubble is the bathroom. It is still a marvel to me that I no longer have to wear flip flops in the shower and that I do not have to carry all of my bathroom accessories in a tote. In addition, my roommates are amazing.
Moral of the story so far is that I have finally learned that there is a huge advantage to being a minimalist, a lesson that I hope will follow me when I pass the window displays at Zara, H&M, Anthropologie, and Lulu Lemon. My other advice for future fellows, as I have already mentioned, is to give yourself at least one day to get moved in and to familiarize yourself with the city transportation. After doing a dry run with my mother on the metro to my work, I discovered that there is a closer stop than I had initially believed, which will save my feet from suffering too much from the already forming blisters. My first day of work is tomorrow morning, and am looking forward to learning about my responsibilities and meeting the other paralegals and lawyers at the Manhattan District Attorney's Office.

No comments: