Wednesday, September 19, 2012

September at HDF

It’s been just month since I started my fellowship at the Housing Development Fund in Stamford, Connecticut (allow with my fellow Fellow, Sabrina.) My title is “Development Assistant,” which I have learned encompasses a wide variety of roles!

After just two days on the job, I found myself in Cincinnati at the 2012 NeighborWorks Training Institute. I took classes about company branding and grant-writing, and participated in the 2012 Young Professionals Symposium. It was a great opportunity to get to know some of my co-workers,  meet other professionals from all over the country, and generally to get a crash course in the field of community development and housing!

Recently, I’ve been involved in the “Communications” part of Development and Communications. My first big project was putting together and sending out our summer newsletter, which was a great way to get informed about HDF’s initiatives and achievements. Hitting ‘send’ on a message to over 4,000 people was an interesting experience!

I’ve also been organizing several events coming up in the next few months, from a ribbon-cutting on a new property whose construction HDF financed, to a Post-Purchase meeting following up with clients who have purchased their first home through our First Time Homebuyer Program, to an event celebrating HDF’s charter with NeighborWorks America at the State Capitol.

When I’m not working on event planning things, I’m updating our website, helping to design invitations and promotional materials, scheduling clients for our First-Time Homebuyer Program, and planning for a database architecture project meeting next week – a good mix of planning procedures, coming up with abstract and creative solutions, and working directly with the people we serve.

No comments: