Saturday, September 29, 2012

A Day


There was no escaping that the title of this blog post was going to be a reference to either an egotistical cliché, “A Day in the Life of” or a song, “A Day,” by Clan of Xymox.

Since one of the purposes of this blog is to provide a little snapshot of the lives of fellows, I figured I’d go through my day.  As I noticed—and as the presenters addressed—at the first D.C. Project 55 seminar on “Careers in Non-Profits,” the narrative distance of a panel or blog makes one’s life look a lot more seamless than it actually is.

To the Princeton student who’s reading this, I begin like Maimonides in his epistolary introduction to The Guide of the Perplexed, “this is for you and others like you.”

Disclaimers made, let’s go into granular detail.  On weekdays, I wake up a bit after four and do my morning pages.  I followed Julia Cameron’s The Artist’s Way before beginning at Princeton and I wrote my thesis on her program and other creative recovery programs.   I meditate and then go exercise in the fitness center in the townhouse development where my aunt and uncle live.  I live with them for a few reasons: my uncle offered me a deal on rent I can’t refuse, my car insurance is cheaper in Virginia than in the Capital (et tu, The Hunger Games?), and I’ve always lived with family during summers and for internships and whatnot.  I return home, shower, dress, drink my green juice, eat my oatmeal, and my uncle drops me off at a metro station on his way to work. 

I start work at 07:30.  Besides entering information into Character Education Partnership’s development database, I sometimes design cards, make phone calls to encourage schools, business, and others to attend CEP’s National Forum on Character Education, compile and send thank-you notes, execute fundraising research, and sort accounting files.  I leave the office to eat lunch since I don’t believe in eating where you work.  There’s a more vulgar way to say that, but I’ll leave it to your imagination.  I drink 4/7 of my lunch since I cannot chew all I need to sustain myself in 30 minutes (juicing…that’s why my parents gave me a high-speed blender as a graduation present). 

Once a week CEP gathers for a staff meeting, and I attend other meetings as the need arises.  I currently take notes for the fundraising committee meetings since I will be doing quite a bit of data entry as the new director of development writes a new fundraising plan.  Working with a supervisor who telecommutes from across the country is probably not for everyone; I get along very well with her, which means we communicate clearly.  As one of my coworkers said this week, a “certain synergy” comes from working in an office with fellow humans.  Sabrina is right on in her observations about forced face time not really being downtime.  Adjectives fail me to describe how much I dislike staring at a computer all day.

I metro back to Alexandria and walk home.  Sometimes I have to feed my aunt and uncle’s two cats.  I eat supper, which is usually a portion of a dish I made on the weekend.  I assemble the juices and grains for the next day.  I take a walk around Alexandria, and then I come home, pick out the next day’s clothes, shower, read a little sacred text, and go to bed hopefully before 21:00. 

Wash, rinse, repeat.  One of my weekend days involves cooking whatever I find at the Alexandria farmers’ market, and one of my weekend days involves going to church.

That’s it for the extreme detail.   Best regards to you, Princeton senior, and go back to work on your thesis!

No comments: