Sunday, October 7, 2012

Two months in

I've been at my position at the Character Education Partnership (CEP) now for about the duration of most of my past internships. It's interesting that I finally feel as though I have a real niche. Now that last year's fellow, who overlapped with me for the first month of my fellowship, has left, I have the interesting and novel feeling of basically being the organization's point person on a number of things. I feel like I have real ownership of my projects. Currently, CEP is gearing up for the National Forum on Character Education, from November 1-4, a major conference with 800 attendees. Along with my supervisor, I am currently doing the bulk of administrative tasks, registration and marketing for the Forum.

I think my placement at CEP can potentially be a great one for someone thinking of going into teaching. Though there is no direct interaction with students, you're surrounded by teachers and former teachers pretty constantly and can gain an interesting window into the more social-emotional side of learning. The fellow has me considering not just teaching but also school psychology, counseling and social work.

No comments: