Monday, December 3, 2012

as good a time as any

...to make my first blog post! With the PP55 application date approaching, I thought I would make a quick plug for the program and explain a little about what my experience has been like. The rest of the site explains the components of the PP55 program -- the monthly seminar series, the mentorship program, the social events, the meaningful job placements -- but I want to hereby testify that it really is everything they say it is. I've learned about green architecture while sipping wine on a Wednesday night, rubbed shoulders with successful and generous "old timers," one of whom mailed me tickets to a Picasso opening a few days after we first met, and learned so much about my own skills and interests through challenging tasks at work. I work at the Association to Benefit Children in the Programs and Contracts office -- so, along with my fellow fellows, I write grants, manage our contracts with the government, and balance the many other things we have to do in order to keep our programs running. It's a big mix of writing, researching, working with numbers, people-managing, organizing, event coordinating, and a little bit of reviving my 10th grade Spanish skills. I work on a different project every day. I don't feel overworked, but I am constantly busy and challenged. And learning. And I think a lot of the fellowships are like that. I feel really important, too -- if I didn't submit a big contract the other day, we wouldn't have received a $10,000 city council grant. Just because these are one-year stints doesn't mean we aren't crucial to our organizations! If you're thinking of applying to PP55, I really recommend getting in touch with a current fellow to learn more about the program and get a sense for the different fellowship placements. It's a really cool way to start your career and continue to take advantage of Princeton's incredible resources post-graduation. And giving back to the community is great karma!!

No comments: