Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Reflection

I realized recently that I will be nearing the half-way point of my fellowship in a month. I'd settled into such a steady, predictable rhythm with my work at CEP that I'd almost forgotten to reflect and occasionally take stock of what I was learning and how I could use it in the future.

From my current vantage point, one thing I think I understand is that first, working in an office has been an incredibly valuable, educational experience and second, it's not something that I think I want to spend my career doing. CEP is a really great place for people who think they might be interested in education in any capacity, whether policy or teaching or administration because in addition to the office work, you are also constantly in contact with teachers, school social workers, administrators and counselors. During our recent conference, I was actually able to sit in on multiple enrichment and training sessions for teachers and meet a lot people on the front lines of character education and many different kinds of education reform.

Additionally, one of my current projects is proofreading our massive, 500-page sourcebook, which is filled with examples of really exciting things that teachers are doing around the country. This fellowship is a really amazing opportunity to get a sense of how exciting and creative teaching (or working in a school in a different capacity) can be from a macro level, to see teachers who are doing genuinely innovative, effective things. Learning more practical skills, like communicating with supervisors and working independently is also valuable but I only recently realized that there are so many other, much broader things I've gained from my experience.

No comments: