Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Everyone is at least at Pre-K reading level!!

I know considering I am a kindergarten teacher, they all should have already been at a pre-kindergarten reading level at the beginning of the year, but in fact, none of them were.  None of the children in my class could write their first and last name from memory, none of them knew more than 10 letters and sounds, and they had no idea how to use a book (which way we go when we read, where we start reading, or even to turn the page).  So yea this is a HUGE deal and I am SSSOOO proud of them.  At the beginning of the year I did not think my class would even be able to sit altogether for a read aloud, without fidgeting or some sort of outburst, but now they can!  And they read by themselves, and they write full sentences, and they sound out words; it is truly amazing to watch!  They have also made incredible strides in math too.  They couldn't count past 3, and could only identify the number 1.  But now they can count to 100, they add, subtract, and know 2D plane shapes, as well as 3D solid figures.  Needless to say, I am an extremely proud teacher today and can't wait to have them all leave kindergarten on grade level!! =)

No comments: