Tuesday, September 7, 2010

blog blog blog

I hope everyone had a labor-free Labor day weekend! I'm writing this at the start of my sixth week at the Foundation Center. Wow! The time has gone so quickly.

I've been busy with a number of different projects, but one exciting one is that the Foundation Center asked me if I would be interested in writing a semi-regular segment for their blog PhilanTopic. The idea is that my posts will document what it's like to be a young nonprofit professional starting out in the sector. I will also record my observations about the Foundation Center with the hope that my "fresh eyes" might contribute to the work of the organization.

My first two blog posts are available here and here. You wouldn't believe my surprise when I realized that not only were there some people reading my content, but also there were also people who responded and pushed me on my opinions! How exciting!

In other news, my running is going well, and I've qualified for a (very low level) sponsorship from Brooks Running. Depending on how you interpret the term "pro", you could call me a "pro" runner now. Don't worry, Alumni Corps, the free sneakers and gear isn't going to make me give up my day job any time soon. I had my first race as "pro" this weekend, and I finished 14th at the USA Track and Field 20k national Championship, running a time that's about 1 minute away from the Olympic Trials qualifying time.

My roommate Dominique Salerno, who is a fellow "fellow", just started work on September 1st, and it's been really inspiring to see how excited she is about her post at Education Through Music. I'm looking forward to the NYC orientation this weekend because I can't wait to hear more about everyone else's work!

No comments: