Monday, September 27, 2010

the students have arrived! (a picture entry)

I've loved getting a chance to read some of the posts!

I must admit that I'm a bit jealous of the fellows who are in NYC (my hometown) this year. It sounds like you all are having a great time and learning your way around.

This past month in Chicago has been a blast. I went to Yanga Fest at DuSable Museum. There were cool African dance performances, workshops, and an outdoor bazaar/market. I was super excited because I got to take a workshop with one of my first dance instructors from NYC.

A weekend or two later, I had dinner with my mentor at "Big Bowl." It was awesome getting to spend time with her in person. She's been an invaluable resource.



My job responsibilities are clearer, I'm getting closer with the staff, and I'm building relationships with the students and teachers here at the school. (The pace of the job has certainly picked up speed).

This is a picture of the faculty entrance to the building. I love the artwork above the door. There's artwork around various parts of the building. I'm usually in such a hurry to get from point A to point B that I don't notice it. It's always exciting for me when I notice a painting or mural in the building.



This is the hallway right outside of my office. This was in the beginning of September before the students arrived. Right around the corner (and in various parts of the building) there was major construction and cleaning being done in preparation for the students' return. There were a few days that the internet connection/ power in our office was knocked off. Thank goodness there are spare laptops that Umoja has for the staff to use. I saw just how hard the staff works and their problem-solving skills were in full effect.



I work in the ARC (Academic Resource Center). This is one of Umoja's three offices within Manley (high school). It is the largest office and is where students come throughout the day and after school. There are computers for the students to use for their schoolwork, etc. Almost all of the staff members in the ARC work directly with the students. I love working in here. Time management has been key since students often come over to ask questions, etc. while I'm working on something.

Each staff member who works in the ARC was asked to complete a task to prepare the ARC for the new school year. My responsibility was decorating the ARC. The below on the left is a sign I made with info sheets about each staff member in the ARC. I also made smaller quotations and signs using Umoja's principles. The picture below on the right is a sign I made with pictures of students from events/workshops, etc. from last year.


The school is filled with students now and the pace of my job has increased. I've been given more responsibility and really feel like a member of the team. I've been extremely busy interviewing students for the writing workshop I'll be co-facilitating and I've been creating drills for each session. We officially start next week! It's a ten week program which meets three times a week for three hours each time.

Below is a picture I took at Manley's Back to School Night. Many of the students of all grades and their parents showed up. The event was catered by students in the culinary program at the school! I didn't have major responsibilities. I took pictures and pitched in as needed.



I'm looking forward to October, the fall, and more fun.

1 comment:

Princeton AlumniCorps Project 55 Fellowship Program said...

Thank you so much for including pictures! I love seeing them and they are also super helpful to me when I am updating the website and other materials to show applicants what a fellowship year "looks like" Great work!