Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Precept in the real world

True life, I was "that kid" in precept. I did the reading, and I really liked talking about it. My post-graduation life is full of exciting challenges, but I've found that the thinking I do on a regular basis is of a different type. I'm using my brain in more practical and less theoretical ways. That said, I miss being intellectually stimulated, which is why I get excited about any opportunity to think in that way.

The Foundation Center has a monthly series called "Conversations on Philanthropy" where all staff members are invited to read a given article and come to a board room to discuss it. It feels like real life precept! Unlike in precept, though, I'm getting to learn from the wisdom of colleagues who have been working on nonprofit sector issues for decades!

I'm also very grateful for the p55 seminar series, and I'm very much looking forward to tonight's panel on "Rethinking Masculinity". It's being held at the Foundation Center (talk about convenient for fellow-p-55-er Allison and me!), and a number of my colleagues have commented about how interesting the event sounds. I hope it is!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

We just started doing something similar in our weekly team meetings (not organization-wide, though). And I love it! So, I totally understand where you're coming from, Reilly. Some food for thought, if you're interested:

http://www.gladwell.com/2002/2002_07_22_a_talent.htm
http://www.theamericanscholar.org/the-disadvantages-of-an-elite-education/