Tuesday, July 5, 2011

the beginning

Hi all!

This blog post is a bit tardy because moving in has been hectic! The only internet I had was my iPhone's 3g up until Saturday, so it feels good to be connected to the world again!

Starting at the Center for a Livable Future has been great. The people who work there are so nice, and I've already learned a lot about food systems and how food availability pertains to public health. My job so far has been to read up on the food production issues we deal with, start drafting some "position pieces" that summarize some of the major issues we research, and to help organize some chicken we're going to do a study on. I thought after my thesis I wouldn't want to touch a lab with a 20 foot pole for a few months at least, but I was actually really excited that I would be able to help with the study! It will just be freeze drying samples, but it's cool to do something that is leading to conclusions that will have easy to see, real world implications... and I think I secretly really do love the lab.

I haven't really gotten the hang of Baltimore yet but it seems like a cool place, and I'm sure it will grow on me as I learn more about it!

I think this is going to be a great year, and I'm looking forward to reading about what the other fellows are up to!

No comments: