Friday, July 29, 2011

First Mentor/Mentee Meet-up

On Tuesday, I received an email from Social and Alumni Relations Committee Co-Chair Andrew Protain with the subject line: "Your Project 55 Mentor." Finally! How exciting!

I immediately wrote to my newly appointed mentor, Carol Lee '03. Several emails later, we set up a mentor-mentee-meeting for Mexican food down in Murray Hill (alliteration...). We met last night, and I really enjoyed our conversation. I found out that Carol had also been a mentor for ETM's former fellow Julie Rubinger '09 (I love it when my Project 55 connections come full circle like that). We talked about Carol's own experience as a San Francisco fellow and how she found her way back to the East Coast and now works for KIPP NYC. We also talked about my own interests and future career goals, and I am definitely looking forward to the PP55 seminars that might focus on some of these areas.

All in all, it was a great talk. To all of you fellows out there, if you haven't yet met with your mentor, definitely get in touch. Otherwise, you're missing out!

Looking forward to the fellows' happy hour event next week. I hope to see all of you New Yorkers there!

No comments: