Thursday, December 8, 2011

Holiday Updates

Recently, I have been reading others' blog posts about new-found flexibility and the ability to actually go home for Thanksgiving. I am one of this bunch -- I was unable go ever go home during that short four day break in college because it always seemed that I had a Wednesday night class and could just not make the trip back home in such short time.

Well, it is quite wonderful to now have "vacation days." I was able to spend quality time with my family (including my entire extended family) and not have to worry about any homework. In this sense, I think that I am starting to get the feel of a work-life balance. I even went up to my Grandpa's farm in Minnesota and spent time picking eggs and driving a tractor!

That being said, I had a quite enjoyable work week when I returned to New York City. Every month, I co-author an education litigation newsletter that is a huge undertaking. I enjoy researching and writing these articles and learning about state-specific law cases. We also had an advisory council meeting this past week--this includes individuals from all facets of education -- higher education professors, principals, education non-profit individuals, NYC education dept. representatives, parents, and others. I really value listening in on their often differing viewpoints; having everyone together is such a great resource for our organization and my general growth in the field. I finished the week off helping our executive director update a handful of historical backgrounds on state public school funding.

I must say that I cannot believe it is the winter holidays in 3 weeks. How time has flown! I saw the tree at Rockefeller Center. I must say that I showed up expecting something incredible--like the Christmas tree of a lifetime. Though it is very pretty, I was much more impressed by the giant snowflake at 57th and 5th avenue. Hoisted above beautiful corner stores (many covered in a kaleidoscopic array of holiday decorations), this is the site to see!

No comments: