Wednesday, December 28, 2011

P55...in the Nation's service

I can’t believe 2011 is almost over…between graduating from college, beginning my Project 55 fellowship and making my home in a new city, I’ve barely had time to sit back and reflect on what the year has meant for my life and for society as a whole. This year has been pretty tumultuous for everyone. The tough job market and overall economic instability has caused many to question the value of a degree and the ease of establishing a career. While graduating during a recession is certainly less than ideal, I’m happy that my generation is thinking more critically about what we should value and what our obligations are to society. I’m really thankful for the inspiration that Project 55 – and the other outlets that connect Princetonians with civic engagement opportunities – brings to recent grads who are confused about the directions that their lives should take.

“Princeton in the nation’s service, and in the service of all nations.” It’s a cute motto, but what does it mean once you leave Fitz-Randolph Gate? It means that there isn’t necessarily a conflict between making a living and making a difference in one’s community. It means that receiving a Princeton education is a privilege that goes hand in hand with certain social responsibilities. At this point last year, I was searching for a career that resonated with my personal interests and my ethical convictions. Now, several months into my fellowship, I have a much better idea of my professional strengths and a great deal of faith in the potential of positive social change. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has been similarly inspired by the challenging but rewarding work that we’ve all been doing since graduation, and it’s great to see so many other recent Princeton grads that are doing great work in the world. I’m excited to see what changes 2012 will bring for the Alumnicorps and the future of civic engagement!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ha..I bought a cloth-carry-bag in Honolulu in May. On both ends of the bag, which has an oriental theme,
is printed "P55DLE" which I thought might stand for 'poodle' but as I was a volunteer at the Art Institute of
Chicago one Friday I pulled up my bag to get a pen to write something down for a visitor. She looked at
the 'P55DLE' and said to her husband, 'Look..that stands for the Princeton class of '55 project to mentor
students." On asking a few questions, not wanting to delay her visit, she did a short elaboration which
lead me to your website. Now my qustion is, who is the artist/person who came up with this idea? The
bag is absoutely ideal for me..with a pocket on each side and one inside..this latter btw has the 'ban the bomb'
logo in green..that is on the inside. Had it been on the outside I would not have bought the bag (!) I was
a class of '61 graduate of the Univ of Calif, Berkeley..and liberal leaning..still I do not like 'logos' attached
to myself. I think I have the idea of it..but would like to know more about the designer of this bag. With thanks
Susanne Luard Lenz, Chicago IL