Monday, December 19, 2011

Preparing for the New Year at Heads Up

Since my last post, a lot has happened at the Heads Up! office. Because of this year's accelerated grant schedule, I had to order 60,000+ books before December 1st. It was hectic designing and submitting all of the orders and following up on checks and invoices. Now that the book ordering is complete, I am excited to find new responsibilities and ways to improve the program. I am also already thinking about preparing for the next fellow. Although I have spoken to some interested applicants, I want to take this opportunity to make a pitch to others who might be considering Heads Up!.

I have grown a tremendous amount in just the last six months in this position. As the program coordinator, I have had complete responsibility for the entire literacy program. This has provided an incredible opportunity to develop my leadership and interpersonal skills. I have worked with a wide range of stakeholders, from kids in the clinics to volunteer retirees . There is a great deal of autonomy in position and this means I largely get to choose how to spend my time. Lately I have been focusing on expanding the volunteer program at one of our hospitals in the Bronx. I also intend to start shadowing an adult primary care physician to add some diversity to my experience in pediatric clinics.

In reflecting on my time at Heads Up!, I have begun to realize how important this sense of responsibility and autonomy is to having an enjoyable work experience. Tack on to this the chance to interact with patients and providers while doing a valuable public service, and you have the ingredients for a wonderful fellowship year. I have truly enjoyed my time at Heads Up! and look forward to meeting this year's applicants.

No comments: