Monday, June 25, 2012

On to Fellowship #2

And it feels pretty good! It has only been a little over a week since I finished up my year at CEP, but that week has seemed to stretch on much longer than a mere seven days. What with saying goodbye to DC, living through my first move with a moving company (totally worth it, for anyone who may be considering it), settling into my my new apartment in Peter Cooper Village, cramming in some last-minute doctor's appointments, and then driving to Michigan for a few weeks of family vacation time before I start work at the New York Center for Child Development (NYCCD) on July 9, it has certainly been a busy time! However, having already gone through a year in the working world, I feel much calmer and more confident going into my second fellowship than I did at this point last year. From the time I spent with Katharine, last year's fellow, I believe that this position is extremely well-suited to my strengths and interests, and will provide me with the experience necessary to determine whether a career in psychology is right for me. In other words, I think this is going to a BIG year, and I can't wait to see what's in store!

Before I can begin figuring that out, however, I need to brush up on my Spanish! My supervisor made it clear during my interview that I would be expected to communicate both in person and in writing with the many Spanish-speaking parents whom NYCCD serves, and while I studied Spanish for six years and did a summer abroad in Spain, I'm feeling like a little help from my friend Rosetta Stone could do me some good in that respect. I'll keep you all posted on how that goes, and any suggestions on Spanish classes in New York would be much appreciated!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,

Can you share with us why you chose New York Center for Child Development?

Sarah said...

Absolutely! I am very interested in child development and working with children with developmental disabilities, so NYCCD is really the perfect organization for me to be at. My position enables me to get both clinical and administrative experience, which will certainly help me a lot as I figure out what I want to do post-fellowship.