Friday, June 22, 2012

Packing



As I’m packing to move to D.C. in a week, I feel as if I’m moving back to school: making lists, visiting the dentist, getting a haircut, planning my next moves.  I know as soon as I move to Alexandria, Virginia, I will have to register my car with the city in order to pay personal property tax, a feature of living in Virginia I learned from living there last summer.  For fellows who will have cars, I recommend checking with the city government of where you are living whether you need to purchase a parking permit for street parking or whether you need to register your vehicle with the city in order to pay personal property tax before you move so that you do not run into trouble later in your fellowship year.

On a school-related note, as I’ve been condensing my notes from school and preparing them for cold storage (just a box in my parents’ basement), I’ve removed staples, paperclips, binder clips, and rubber bands since these materials do not survive the years well and will damage paper documents.  Consider this a friendly tip from an ex-archives worker.

Twenty-five days ’til I begin as a fellow at Character Education Partnership!

No comments: