Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Looking forward

Seeing my partner in crime at the Foundation Center making an appearance on the blog reminded me that I should put in a word about my own experience here.

One of the great things about working at the Foundation Center is the convenient access to the many resources that it has to offer. October has been "Arts Month" at the Foundation Center, featuring programming related to everything from finding fiscal sponsorship as an artist to engaging celebrities with your organization. I've made an effort to go to a number of these events, primarily because I consider myself an artist (of the musical variety) and so am interested on both a professional and personal level. Though I've decided at this point that I don't plan on pursuing music full-time as a profession (unless something really remarkable were to happen in the next year...), it is undeniably a passion of mine and a big part of why I wanted to be in New York this year, and something that I hope to pursue throughout my life. I also have a number of friends who are trying to "make it" in the arts world, so at the very least I reasoned that the knowledge I gained through these workshops could be of use to them.


I found some of the sessions more relevant to my interests than others, but they all confirmed that the arts organizations, and especially those related to music, are something that I care deeply about and hope to participate in or support for years to come. You don't have to become an artist, actor, or musician to realize that cultivating a love and appreciation for the arts in culture in society at large makes the world a generally more exciting and enjoyable place. A couple of decades down the line, I would love to be on the board of an arts organization, putting my enthusiasm to good use.

No comments: