Tuesday, October 26, 2010

New Frontier

Ok, Ok, I just got an email reminding me to blog. I know I haven't blogged in a while, but in fairness I also haven't cleaned my room, put away my laundry, or done my dry cleaning in a while. At least I'm blogging now. I think that means I get to leave my clean and as-of-yet-unfolded laundry in a heap in my room. Right?

I recently passed a big milestone at the Foundation Center. I have now been working here longer than I've ever worked anywhere. All of my previous summer internships were 10-12 weeks, and I am now in week 13!

It's really exciting to see how different the last few weeks have been compared to weeks 10-12 of an internship.

I am becoming much more familiar and comfortable with the culture of the Foundation Center, and I'm feeling like I am positioned to make more meaningful contributions. For example, I made my first professional presentation to a group of co-workers about ways that FC NY can take advantage of social media tools.

If this had been an internship, that presentation would have been the end of my summer. I probably would have finished it near the end of my time, and then I would have stranded it as I went back to school. Now, instead, I'm starting to take action.

I just created a new facebook page for Foundation Center New York, which I hope will grow and become an interactive community for people in the nonprofit sector living and working in the NYC area. Check us out and like our page!

Foundation Center New York is a great resource for young nonprofit workers and our courses and materials could likely help each of your organizations as well. Besides, I set a goal of getting 500 people to like the page by December 31st, so I need you to help me out!

I've got plenty to work on now, and I'm just very exciting to be gearing up rather than finishing up!

2 comments:

Princeton AlumniCorps Project 55 Fellowship Program said...

Reilly - let me know if you'd like to set a time discuss strategies for growing a Facebook page.
Sara

Reilly Kiernan said...

I'd love to hear your advice! Thanks!