Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Spotted: Former P55 mentor and current First Lady

My last few weeks in DC have been very exciting and very busy, but for the purposes of this blog entry I’ll focus on just one exciting event: Last week, my mentor took me and another P55 fellow to a Democratic National Committee event featuring Victoria Kennedy (the late Senator Ted Kennedy’s wife) and First Lady Michelle Obama. We had the opportunity to briefly meet Mrs. Obama, and of course, we excitedly informed her that we were fellow Princeton graduates and current Project 55 fellows. She responded with equally genuine excitement, telling us that she had formerly been a P55 mentor in Chicago (I will admit that at this point, we ruined the moment a little bit by replying, “We know!”) and wishing us luck with the remainder of our fellowship year.

It was a real treat to be able to see her speak in person – she was incredibly poised, eloquent, and sincere. Her remarks covered topics ranging from Bo Obama’s first birthday party (she referred to him as her “new son”) to her personal connection to the health care reform bill because of her father’s battle with multiple sclerosis and her hopes for the Democratic Party in the upcoming election.

The event was held at Mrs. Kennedy’s home, and in her introductory remarks, she mentioned that some of the first discussions about the recently passed health care reform legislation took place just a few years ago, in the dining room where we had all been munching on hors d’oeuvres minutes earlier. I felt like I was being given an intimate glimpse into the personal and professional lives of some of the country’s most important Democratic policymakers – I was a real “Washington insider,” if only for one night.

After the event, I had dinner with the other P55 fellow and both of our mentors. We had a great conversation about our various career trajectories and our experiences at Princeton. (Apparently, back in 1995, there was neither a Starbucks nor a J. Crew on Nassau Street… hard to imagine, I know.) They also gave us both helpful tips on networking at conferences and suggestions for improving our fellowship experience.

My experience with the mentoring component of my P55 fellowship has been fantastic – and not just because my mentor cooked dinner for me and brought me to an exciting political event (although those things were great!). As I navigate this new, unfamiliar job in a new, unfamiliar city, it’s been very comforting to know that I have the support of a fellow Princeton alum who genuinely wants to help me adjust and succeed, both personally and professionally.

No comments: