Monday, December 20, 2010

First Weeks at Choices

Recently, I introduced the practice of journaling to our youth participants at Choices and decided to follow their example and begin to blog. It is amazing how quickly these first 6 weeks have passed and how much a part of the Choices team I already feel.

Choices provides services to court involved youth that include an after-school program, educational monitoring, and guidance, to name a few. Since my first day, I have been partnering with various members of the Choices team to do school and home visits, becoming familiar with areas of the city I had never been to before, such as Brooklyn and Washington Heights. The school visits allow me to put a face to the voices of the guidance counselors and attendance coordinators from all over Manhattan and Brooklyn that I speak to regularly as we brainstorm ways to improve attendance or resolve any school related issues the participant may be facing. Each youth faces his or her own unique circumstances, and I find more often than not seeking different solutions, be it an alarm clock or childcare for young mothers. I could not have asked for better support than the exceptional guidance I receive from the Choices staff to lead me through this process. I am consistently impressed with the ease with which they navigate the many complex situations of our youth and find innovative ways to reach out to them.

I look forward to sharing more of my experiences. Happy Holidays!

No comments: