Tuesday, March 29, 2011

CEP Update

There are only 2 days left in March but D.C. is still freezing. I bring this up only because it's the only thing people seem to be talking about--- my coworkers, people in the elevator, strangers at the store--- everyone thinks it's too cold. I know we're probably much better off than the fellows in NYC/Chicago/Boston/Connecticut but we in D.C. want some spring weather! Though it's still pretty chilly outside, the famous cherry blossoms of D.C. have begun to blossom! They're beautiful, just like every person who's ever lived in the city has ever told me. All the more reason for warm weather to come--- I think seeing them in person might be cooler than checking them out from my heated apartment. I, along with many fellows, can't believe it's nearly April. A big congrats to all the new fellows who will be taking over for us in just a few months! Here at CEP, work has picked up as I've begun to help with the planning of our 2011 national conference, which will take place in October out in San Francisco. Right now, we're in the middle of selecting our conference speakers (approx. 150) and setting up our conference registration website. We use this event planning company that's absolutely awesome but ridiculously complicated so I spend a lot of quality time on the phone with their customer service employees. I think by the end of my fellowship I'll be qualified to work for them! At the same time, CEP is accepting and reviewing applications for its National Schools of Character program and its Promising Practices program, so Cam and Leif (my two co-fellows) have been fielding tons of calls about both of those applications. It's a lot of fun to hear from the educators who are out "in the field" (so to speak) putting character education into action. I've got a feeling the next two months are going to fly by. Hope you're all having a great spring!

No comments: