Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Getting Involved

This past weekend, I managed to do something I've been meaning to do ever since I moved to New York - get involved in volunteer work. I think when I tell people that I work at a non-profit, some have this misconception that I do altruistic things all day long, but in reality I work in business development. I create pricing structures, do research on potential customers, study subscriber retention - it's not exactly like I'm working in a soup kitchen all day long. So, when I got an email from the P55 NYC social and alumni relations committee/PANYC about a volunteer opportunity with KEEN - an organization that provides recreation opportunities to children and young adults with mental and physical disabilities - and facing a free Saturday afternoon, I figured, why not? I went expecting to see at least a few familiar faces, but I soon realized that this was going to be an opportunity to meet NEW friends, which is something I've been striving to do anyway. I met some great fellow Princeton alums, other volunteers, and kids, and it turned out to be a challenging and fun afternoon.

I have to admit though, the real highlight of the day came after the KEEN event, when another alum and myself headed over to the Princeton Club of New York to watch the Tigers take on Harvard in Men's Basketball to decide who would go to the big dance. I certainly hope the rest of you were watching what turned out to be a fantastic game. I think the collective reaction to the final winning shot has to be one of my favorite sports experiences to date. And yes, all of those locomotives starting getting me just a little excited for reunions...

No comments: