Friday, May 25, 2012

My first real job search

Now that my fellowship at CEP is coming to a close, I'm looking forward, working on finding my next job.  I have only been looking for a week or two, but I am already beginning to realize just how good I had it last year as a graduating senior at Princeton.  I didn't have to go through a "real" job search--I didn't have to scroll through pages of job listings on generic websites nor wonder if I'd ever hear back from the organizations to which I did submit applications.  Instead, I made use of the incredible resources at Princeton and gained employment (and a lot more) as an AlumniCorps fellow. 

However, even though my job search might be a more difficult in some ways now that I'm on my own, I can tell it's also going to be a lot easier in other ways.  Last year, I was a student who knew how to research and write papers; today, I'm a college graduate with a year of work experience under my belt!  As I update my resume and write cover letters, I'm in awe of how many concrete skills I've gained through just one year of work.  I was given a lot of responsibility during my fellowship, and I think I made the most of that opportunity.  I'm actually looking forward to job interviews and being able to talk about how I've grown at CEP. 

No comments: