Thursday, May 24, 2012

Onwards and Upwards!


To preface this blog post, I would like to introduce the most amazing video of all time, featuring a unique rendition of "Wild Heart" by Ms. Stevie Nicks, performed at a Rolling Stone photo shoot. I watch this video on a yearly basis to get goosebumps and to be reminded of the amazing power of Stevie's voice and of music in general.

As my time at the Library winds down, I have been told by many people around me that my next steps (a month-long artist/media residency in Mexico, followed by a move to Peru to do media work for the International Center for the Potato) are similarly wild and crazy. There are times when I think, "Hey, I'm leaving the country for the foreseeable future in a matter of days- that's totally insane!" (I leave June 3.) Yet despite the large geographical shift (and linguistic one- so excited to return to speaking Spanish all the time!), the transition seems to be a natural result of the work that I have done in Philly and the things I have learned about myself during this past year. I managed to get involved in public programming and digital media projects at work and work with people whom I will miss terribly and who have inspired me to think seriously about pursuing journalism/media/filmmaking. In my spare time, I have been lucky enough to work and interact with people involved in Philly's phenomenal food scene. I was a cheesemonger for Fair Food, a research assistant for Farm to School, an urban farmer, a budding chef, and a consumer of (delicious) local foodstuffs. I am so lucky to be able to take this next step and combine my developing personal and professional interests and passions into one position in a country rich with culinary and artistic traditions that I can't wait to enmesh myself in.

Upon graduating from college, you immediately realize how fluid time is. Gradually, you come to see that life is equally malleable and that the opportunities available to those who are ready, willing, and able to go out on a limb for what they love doing are endless. We all have wild hearts and should cherish them for the possibilities they open us up to.

No comments: