Tuesday, August 24, 2010

First Business Trip

I had my first business trip with the Constitutional Rights Foundation Chicago last week. Four of our team members went to a conference in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina to meet with the international partners who implement our program materials. The conference put us up in hotel rooms with decks that led straight to the beach, so we were able to spend our free time in the water when the forecast wasn't predicting monsoons. Countries such as Lithuania, Serbia, Romania, Macedonia, Azerbaijan, and eight other U.S. sites were represented, and we were able to oversee and participate in deliberation discussions such as state sanctioned use of torture and juvenile punishment. There was a conference miniature golf tournament in the middle of the week where each country or state was represented. I represented Illinois and took second place to New Jersey. (If I just didn't hit that darn sand trap on the second hole...) We're looking to expand the program to include partners in South America as well as Eastern Europe, so if a major grant goes through in the next month I may be taking another trip very soon.

I have been meeting up on a regular basis with Mike Laidlaw, my P55 mentor. He's a great guy with an awesome taste in music. He invited me to The National concert on September 26 at Riviera Theater, so any Chicago fellows should look into coming too.

I'm flying back home tomorrow morning to take part in my sister's wedding, but I look forward to hearing what you all are up to.

No comments: