Friday, February 24, 2012

Thoughts on Networking

I have a confession to make: before I started my fellowship, I was pretty skeptical about the concept of networking.  Despite the fact that numerous successful people in my life--from my parents to AlumniCorps staff--had emphasized how important networking can be, I wasn't convinced.  To me, networking seemed like a mix between sucking up and begging, and I wasn't comfortable with the idea of building connections with people based upon the hope that they might employ me at some point in the future. 

However, I have another confession to make: I was wrong.  I have seen the light.  Networking is a huge part of being an out-of-college adult.  It's so important to develop connections with people because life after college in the nation's capital is not the same as life on Princeton's campus.  I don't run into my thesis advisor in the gym or my friends around campus anymore.  I no longer receive a billion emails a day from campus groups, nor do I attend classes with others who share my interests.  Instead, I meet people at happy hours, Princeton Club of Washington events, Project 55 seminars, or other organized, often one-time activities.  If I don't work to build and maintain relationships with the people I meet, they will most likely forget about me.  So, in that sense, networking is practical. 

But I've also come to see networking as much more than a practical way to stay in touch with people.  I think one could fairly call networking a PG version of being friends with benefits.  It's not just a process of sucking up to people--it's building relationships with people who share your own interests.  Being connected to people who share your passion and can support your pursuits, goals, and dreams is so crucial!  Networking is so much more than just looking for a job: it's surrounding yourself with people who care about what you care about and are interested in working toward similar goals. 

My thoughts about networking were confirmed at this morning's monthly Project 55 seminar.  We went to the Department of Justice(!) for a panel discussion on "Public Service and the Environment." We heard from a panel of accomplished public servants: Elizabeth Prescott, Georgetown University; Jeffrey Prieto, US Department of Justice, Environment Division; Robert Winterbottom, World Resources Institute; and Justin Smith, US Department of Justice, Environment Division.  They had all been in fellowships at some point in time and noted that these were life- and career-altering experiences.  Why?  Largely because of the people they met and were able to befriend--people who shaped their careers and inspired them.  That sounds pretty great, don't you think? 

No comments: