Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Using Social Media for Social Change

Tonight’s PP55 Fellows seminar focused on using social media as a means for social change. Hosted by Philly Net Squared, the evening focused on identifying the right social media strategies to use depending on the aims of your non-profit or social justice project. There were several small discussion groups that focused on a series of wide-ranging issues. I sat in on discussion groups that addressed tools such as Hootsuite to handle various social media platforms; legal issues associated with adopting social media applications; and a discussion group on web and media strategies to maximize your organization’s reach.

The seminar was described as a “mini-unconference.” I really enjoyed the interactive format and I found the evening to be engaging and educational. It definitely provided me with some new techniques on effectively using and understanding social media that I hope to utilize in the future.

No comments: