Friday, August 26, 2011

Earthquakes and Hurricanes!

Hi everyone,

I've been living in the city for just over two months and I've already had so many new experiences, including....an earthquake. I am from Chicago where none of these silly natural disasters tend to happen. Thus, on Tuesday, when the room started to rock during our staff meeting at first I thought the construction outside had gotten really heavy. Eventually, however, we realized that wasn't the case and I may have freaked out a bit. My building was eventually evacuated and moral of the story, I am NEVER living in California. Not for me.

Anyway, besides the impending hurricane, everything is going well in my life. I still love my job, although it has been a bit slow over the summer. Sometimes I get a bit a bored at work but I think that should pass soon once things pick up during the winter....either kids get arrested less frequency over the summer or they are paroled to our program less often. Often when I don't have anything to do at the moment I will stand and talk to the lawyers or go inside the courtroom and watch a random case. Despite sitting through a number of court cases, I still definitely don't understand everything that is going on. The thing I find the most confusing are objections...I don't get when they are brought up and what makes the judge decide to sustain them versus overturning them. Hopefully I will be able to figure that out before the summer ends!

Recently I've also been working on my law school apps. It is super stressful! I never like to tell people that I am actually going to law school...I just tell them I am applying and we will see what happens after that. Additionally I am also trying to find a tutoring job, training for a half-marathon and looking for some kind of extracurricular activity I can get involved in to meet new people (if you have any ideas let me know!).

I hope everyone else is enjoying their summer as much as I am! If you are in New York I hope you have a safe and dry weekend!

Best,
Stephanie

No comments: