Friday, August 12, 2011

KSS 2011

So although I've been at the KIPP Foundation for almost two months now(!!!!), most of my time has been spent preparing for and executing our annual KIPP School Summit, this year held in Nashville.

I never realized that putting on a conference was so intense. It was 3/4 professional development conference 1/4 pep rally for 2200 teachers and school leaders. We also had 170 potential/current investors and partners who attended (this is kind of my jam, as I'm on the Development team), each of whom needed a registration packet, complete with personalized itinerary. Which is fine, but because they're such big deals, their plans change a lot :/ Kept us on our toes, for sure.

Best parts about KSS in Nashville:

- Seeing the impact we're having on real students. We had a bunch of co-curricular groups come in, and I got to meet a lot of the KIPPsters. I also got a chance to meet some graduated KIPPsters who had made it through college. Seeing the growth that happens between the two stages was incredible. I was definitely proud to be part of the movement.

- Nashville is awesome. Maybe it's because I'm pretty country myself, but I LOVED the city. Live music everywhere, tons of people who dress like me (who I never really managed to find in Princeton), perfect nighttime weather (remember, I live in SF now), and a great opportunity to get to know my coworkers better

- I got to run with Former Mayor Adrian Fenty. yup. we're tight now. He was down to go as far as I wanted and only kind of kicked my butt. In my defense, it was 5 am on the day after the hottest day in Nashville since 1956 and my 6th day of training @ 5 that week, but I'll give him the win on that one anyway :) There were all sorts of rock stars like him who attended (Meg Whitman, Reed Hastings, Pam Flaherty, John Fisher, Doris Fisher, Mark Nunnelly, etc) and while I tried to be as professional and levelheaded as possible, inside I was leaping up and down like a three year old.

What I didn't like about Nashville:

***crickets chirping***

...but in all seriousness, it was a LOT of work. I only had time to go out and see the city a couple of times throughout the 7 days I was there and the days were ridiculously LONG. Guess I know what it would feel like to be in banking, now ;) And they don't get to change lives every day. Oh yeah. I went there. Sappy, but true.

In short, I'm loving it here. I drank the KIPP Koolaid. I'll save my thoughts on what I love/ don't love about SF for next time.


No comments: