Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A few weeks in...

Hi everyone!


I’ve been working at Echoing Green for just under a month now. Echoing Green is a social entrepreneurship nonprofit and for the past 25 years it has been known for its fellowship program that provides seed funding to individuals starting nonprofits and for-profits with a social impact mission. I’m working in the Communications department, which is developing a new branch of Echoing Green’s work surrounding the book, Work on Purpose. The book and accompanying workshops aim to guide Millenials (us! - people ages 18-32) towards following their passions and finding a purposeful career. In many ways, this overlaps with the mission of our Princeton Project 55 fellowship program which is offering us viable opportunities to work in a field or community that is important to us.


Besides the incredibly friendly staff and the great work environment, I’ve enjoyed learning about the range of responsibilities and opportunities that fall within my purview as Communications Associate. Three weeks into the semester at Princeton, it felt like I’d been taking that set of courses my whole life, but at Echoing Green I feel that I’m constantly learning and the more I am able to accomplish throughout the day, the more responsibility I’ll be given. It has taken longer than I expected to learn the ropes, and I’m definitely still learning, but I’m also starting to get the hang of all of Echoing Green’s systems.


I lived with a friend in NY for the first three weeks of work and it was a lot of fun to sample city-life, but for now, until I find an apartment/roommate, I’ll be commuting from home (Princeton Junction). It’s strange to pass by campus and know that all of the new freshmen are getting ready for OA/CA [or getting evac-ed because of the rain, as the case may be], but I suppose that’s how the cycle goes.


Looking forward to reading about your experiences.

Rebecca


No comments: