Friday, September 2, 2011

First Post

Hi everyone,
This is my first post, after having just finished my first month at CityBridge. CityBridge is a family foundation that works to build and sustain a high-performing public school system in DC. CityBridge has two major areas of focus. One is our stewardship and engagement work, which involves engaging local philanthropists and civic leaders in the DC education reform space. The other is research and investment, which involves best practices research on education reform and making investments in high-performing organizations in DC. As a research analyst, I'm working primarily on the research and investment side of things.
It's been a great first month. The work that I'm doing at CityBridge is fascinating, exciting, and challenging all at once. I've been learning a lot about DC education reform, as well as about all the different work being done by my colleagues at CityBridge. I've gotten immersed in some of the projects I'll be working on, including our work on school turnaround in DC as well as the newly emerging work of ours on community engagement around education reform.
One of the most exciting parts of my job so far has been the chance to sit around a table with my colleagues on the research team and strategize about the direction of our work. I'm looking forward to many more of these conversations going forward. I've attended several interesting panel discussions so far, including one panel at the Fordham Institute with Rick Hess and Randi Weingarten, two big names in the education reform world. And lastly I can't fail to mention my first staff outing, which was a fun day of kayaking on the Potomac and hiking around Roosevelt Island. Thanks to everyone else for such interesting posts!

No comments: