Friday, September 9, 2011

Where has the time gone?

Time is something that I have never been able to master. I remember when the beginning of August rolled around, and making a mental note that I need to blog for PP55. Unfortunately, between searching for an apartment, dealing with management once I found an apartment, packing, dealing with stubborn apartment managers that are only in the office twice a week at the most inconvenient times, trying to reserve apartment elevators, and trying to figure out why on earth a moving company is asking me for a certificate of liability and insurance, I was needless to say somewhat distracted. Oh yeah did I mention that there was also an earthquake and hurricane (both in the same week thrown in there?)

It is amazing how much of difference it makes having a rental, as opposed to sublet apartment. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that renting an apartment would be as stressful as it was. Fortunately, I was able to find an apartment easily by using the NYC Princeton alums listserv. After securing my rental, the complications really began. First of all, I couldn't move into my apartment before the current tenant was out. This was further compounded by the fact that the girl who was moving into my sublet room had to be into my sublet room since she had people moving into her previous apartment. To say the least, it was a mess. Fortunately, everything worked out in the end, and I am now situated at 89th and Columbus on the upper west side.

Even though I am 56 blocks north of my sublet apartment, it is an amazingly different lifestyle. As much as I loved the vivaciousness of Murray Hill and Mid-Town, hearing ambulances whiz by what seemed like every minute on the minute transporting people to the NYU hospital quickly grew tiresome. The Upper West Side has a much more residential feel (I love passing fathers and mothers walking their children to school as I am walking to the subway to go to work in the mornings), and is reminiscent of my life at home in Ohio with all the green trees. Also, in addition to the calmer, quieter, feel, the location is still prime since I am close to the Metropolitan Museum and Natural Museum of History, as well as my current favorite flea market at 77th and Columbus.

Work in Appeals at the Manhattan District Attorney's Office is really picking up. I now have a better appreciation for why I was required to start in June since it took me about two months to master not only my responsibilities, (which consist mostly of exhibits, proofreading, citechecking, and writing ES briefs,) but also gaining the recognition of how to properly prioritize my responsibilities, (a vital skill especially leading up to filing day-which occurs only once a month, and is strikingly similar to Dean's Date with all the lawyers trying to get their briefs to the courts on time.)

Looking forward to this month's adventures. It is amazing how fast time flies when you are no longer in school.

No comments: