Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Learning Experience

I've been in New York working now for almost two months and I'm just now writing my first blog post. Why? Because honestly, I've felt overwhelmed. Between trying to figure out how things work around the office and what is expected of me combined with trying to settle in to a new apartment in a new city with new roommates, I haven't felt like I could write a blog post that contains the kind of stories that I imagine the PP55 staff and community would like to hear. I've decided however that sugar-coating my experience would be a disservice to all.
To be honest, my attitude about my fellowship varies dramatically. Overall, I think I'm much happier than during the first few weeks when I felt totally clueless but there are still some days when I come home and say "Wow, that was rough." To clarify, by no means I am saying there is something WRONG with my organization or my fellowship...I just don't think what I am doing right now is what I want to be doing long-term and sometimes it's difficult to feel excited about the work. But hey, that's what a fellowship is supposed to be about right? TRYING something new and evaluating whether or not it is something that you would like to pursue further. For me, what I'm doing on a daily basis is not what I would like to be doing forever and I think that's OK and important to figure out. I also think it's important to be honest about!

No comments: