Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My Year

At the New York Orientation last weekend, we talked a lot about hwo our fellowship years are really "our years"-- years intended to help us develop professionally and instill a comittment ot civic service. Of course, we are all simultaneously trying to beneft our organizations. But at my job I have been impressed by the extent to which people want to make my hear here enriching. When I emailed my supervisor about having to take time off for medical school interviews, she excitedly respnoded saying that these interviews were very important. When I expressed interest in hands-on work with children, she arranged for me to help in the classrooms. I have definitely had some boring tasks and lackluster days, but most of the time I feel that the people at my organization are trying to make my job beneficial to both me and NYCCD. This is especially striking when I compare my job to my friends' in the private sector.

Unrelated, but if any applicants have questions or want to talk generally about PP55, feel free to contact me. It was really helpful for me ot talk to fellows while I applied last year, so I hope I can be equally helpful to future fellows.

No comments: