Friday, October 14, 2011

After Work

Getting off work at 5 is a wonderful thing. When at college I was just heading to firestone, I now have about 5 hours of free time ahead of me. Sometimes it is nice just to head home but this time has also enriched my fellowship year. I take a Spanish class at NYU on Tuesdays and volunteer in a pediatric private practice on Wednesdays and Fridays. NYCCD sponsored my spanish class because many of the families we help are "bilingual" meaning they really only speak Spanish. I am also certain that better Spanish will be a big asset when I am working in medicine, so I'm excited about this opportunity. Volunteering with the pediatrician has also supplemented my work expereince; it is really interesting to see normally developing children and compare them to the preschoolers with developmental problems at NYCCD. These experiences remind me that although work is the highlight of the fellowship year there's a lot more to it. I have also loved meeting my mentor who is fun and helpful and lives in Williamsburg, a great place to explore if anyone is looking for one.

No comments: