Friday, October 28, 2011

October Update

This past month has gone by so quickly. When I first arrived in New York, I was a bit skeptical about the stereotypes of New Yorkers as constantly busy – but it’s so easy to be busy here. My fellowship is going full speed ahead, and when I’m not at work, I never lack for things to do. I feel much more comfortable with my busy schedule than I did when I first got here, now that I’m falling into a routine. I’ve figured out the shortest paths to and from the subway stop, the best places to grab a cheap slice and the exact length of a wash cycle at the Laundromat – being familiar with these everyday aspects leaves me with more time to explore my surroundings, and the confidence that I am, slowly but surely, becoming a legitimate New York resident.

One of the best aspects of my fellowship is that my supervisor is so supportive of my professional progress – I’ve been taking time to meet with other professionals in both the nonprofit world and the business world, taking classes to develop new skillsets and attending conferences. People often have the impression that learning stops once you graduate, but in my experience, that hasn’t been true at all. Learning in the professional world, however, is much more open-ended, and you have to be skilled at asking the right questions. I feel like I’ve come so far since beginning this fellowship, but there’s still so much further to go! I’m looking forward to the opportunities and challenges that the rest of my fellowship year is sure to bring.

I hope you’re all having a lovely fall!

No comments: