Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Without the usual, college time-markers of midterms, finals, and classes starting and ending, life goes by so quickly in the "real world." I can't believe it's already Thanksgiving - I feel like summer only recently ended! So, in the spirit of the holiday, I thought I'd do the cliche but valuable exercise of sharing what I'm thankful for about my job at World Faiths Development Dialogue (in no particular order). There really is so much I love about it, and the only times I grumble in my head about Monday morning rolling around are times when I've lost sight of that. So, here goes.
(1) I'm thankful that my three (and only) co-workers are kind, patient, and compassionate people, who are passionate about what they do and the role religion plays (and should play) in peacebuilding and international development. I never really expected to have "work friends," but I consider each of them someone I could always turn to for help. They make me laugh, too, which definitely came as a surprise to me that work could be sometimes, maybe, kind of... fun?
(2) I'm thankful that our little NGO holds frequent conferences, often organized by region or issue of interest, inviting religious leaders and development experts from around the world to get together and discuss challenges, share experiences, and brainstorm about next steps. I take notes during these meetings, and I always learn a ton. Plus, it's a nice break from the usual office routine.
(3) I'm thankful that our office is housed in Georgetown University's department of religion, peace, and world affairs (the Berkley Center) because it keeps me connected to the academic world, with professors and undergrad/grad students running around the place. It makes me feel close to the good parts of college, as well as appreciate my recent separation from the stressful parts.
(4) I'm thankful for my walk to work, and the same people in the same shops who I wave hello to every morning and late afternoon as I'm going to and from the office.
(5) I'm thankful that my first major project here, a report on the faith-linked institutions doing work to reduce maternal mortality globally, was recently published. It felt nice to hold in my hands something that took months to research, write, and edit, not to mention the excitement of seeing my name in print.
(6) I'm thankful that my supervisor decided to take the entire Thanksgiving week off, so I wouldn't have to feel so bad asking if I could leave tonight (Tuesday) for the week.
(7) I'm thankful for the crepe place around the corner that gives me discounts with my Georgetown ID. Yummy.
(8) I'm thankful that our office has three windows, so the space is always filled with light, or (as is the case this morning) when it's raining, it feels nice and cozy.
(9) I'm thankful that I get a paycheck!
(10) I'm thankful that I enjoy my work, that I sometimes even look forward to going to the office. I feel a sense of purpose here, and I think I'd like to stay in this field. I'm excited about what the future holds.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone !

No comments: