Wednesday, November 23, 2011

November

It may be cheesy, but I decided to stick "I'm Thankful For ______" slips of paper on the office fridge so coworkers could fill in the blanks. When I came back, the slips had multiplied! So in honor of my coworkers and their willingness to participate in a cheesy tradition, I'll reveal a few of my own answers. :)


I'm thankful for... the moments when hard work pays off.
We finally launched the completely NEW HDF website redesign I've been working so hard on! It's such a relief not because it's done, but because we really believe the new site is much more clear and that potential clients will be able to access the information they need far more easily. (And it got rave reviews! Check it out here: hdf-ct.org)

I'm thankful for... work/life balance.
Working at a nonprofit (and/or doing a fellowship) may not rake in big bucks, but there are other benefits you can't take for granted. Consistently working 9 to 5 leaves me time to take a painting class and make art, join a local dance studio and even perform in a show, as well as read, cook, and so much more. Not ever working weekends also lets me take trips (like to Princeton for homecoming weekend!) and generous vacation time allowed me to visit my brother in San Francisco this month - a city I fell in love with.

I'm thankful for... new, unexpected experiences.
- At the NYC PP55 seminar on the economy, I had the opportunity of talking with (the Emmy-winning) CBS News Business Correspondent Anthony Mason one-on-one and getting his insight on the housing crisis - and what he believes was the cause of the 2008 Recession (securitization). Unexpected and enlightening!
- I've never been to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade but I watch it on tv without fail. Every. Year. Decided on a whim to check out the big parade in Stamford this past Sunday, and to my surprise and excitement, it was just like a local version of the Macy's Parade with HUGE balloons (see below), floats, and bands.


How can I not count my blessings? :)

If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, "thank you," that would suffice.
- Meister Eckhart

No comments: