Monday, November 7, 2011

I guess it really isn't summer anymore...

I think I was in denial for a while that I had actually graduated and wasn't going back to Princeton. The fact that I started my fellowship a whole 5 days after leaving Old Nassau didn't help that illusion, as it just felt like another summer internship that would end in 10-12 weeks and have me back in my dorm by Frosh Week. I can't decide if it's a good or bad thing that I've fallen into such a routine that I've barely noticed how much time has really passed. I guess it's good in the sense that I feel comfortable with my routine and I'm enjoying what I'm doing, but a bit of a bad thing because it is going by so quickly and I want to make sure I make the most of the time that's left. But now, as the leaves are changing, Macy's is decorated for Christmas, and I need to wear my ColdGear Under Armour to go running outside, I think it's finally sunk in that it is not the summer anymore and I am indeed in the "Real World."

Granted, my "Real World" is living at home with my parents, but with the free rent and home cooked meals, that's not a terrible deal. I could do without the commute, but there are worse things. People-watching on the LIRR has quickly become one of my favorite pastimes - every Long Island stereotype you can imagine is present in full force on those crowded trains home. I like to think I don't fit into any of those categories, buttt I have been told my accent is coming back a bit (although I still contend that "dog" should not rhyme with "frog" or "log"... all of you non-LawnGuyLanders are saying it wrong). Being at home has also been more exciting than I anticipated. For instance, a week or so ago there was some drama on the homefront when the Jets' Monday Night Football game conflicted with Dancing With the Stars. Needless to say, my mother won and got to watch DWTS... which by the way is quite an addicting show (vote for JR and Karina!).

But in all seriousness, if any prospective fellows are reading this, living at home really isn't bad at all, and you'll actually be able to save up a bit of money from your fellowship. It hasn't had any impact on my ability to attend the Project 55 seminars and other events, and I've had a couple of great meals with my mentor (who has been FANTASTIC to talk to, so make sure you take advantage of that relationship). It did seem a bit harder to meet new people at first since I wasn't actually living here, but there are definitely ways to do that - I just joined an intramural soccer team with some other Princeton alums, and I'm really excited for that to get underway. Going out does take some extra planning and foresight, but I'm sure you'll have friends living in the city who will let you crash on weekend nights (or whenever else you need to) so you don't need to worry about catching that last train home. Just offer to pay for the cab ride back to their place and maybe some late night pizza and you'll be good to go.

No comments: