Tuesday, November 1, 2011

First Seminar

Last Friday, October 28th, the Washington DC PP55 Fellows had their first seminar.  We met at the law offices of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher in Farragut and boy, have I never sat at such a large, fancy, stone conference room table.  The lobby of the office alone was like something out of Good Housekeeping and I reminder myself vigorously that paralegal is one of my many potential career paths for next year.

Our speakers were Ambassador Anthony Quainton '55 and Alan Platt '65.  The two made up a panel of sorts that was moderated, so to speak, by former PP55 Fellow Alison Laporte-Oshire '09, on the topic of careers overseas and in foreign policy.

I must admit that a negative experience overseas last summer left me discouraged from working abroad and I've never really had an interest in being a policy wonk.  I chose to be a History major because I like narratives and looking at broad themes over time, and never once took a Politics class because policy doesn't really interest me that much (although I am gradually learning more about education policy and finding myself interested in that).  HOWEVER, I still found the seminar, which mostly addressed  our panelists' career paths and some of their opinions on the foreign policy stance of the USA, very interesting and informative!  I really enjoyed meeting Princeton alums who have done a lot of great things over the courses of their long and distinguished careers, and I felt reassured to hear that even these men weren't really sure what they wanted to do when they left Princeton.

Upcoming seminars will include topics such as grad school and managing up -- I can't wait!

October 28th was a big day for me because:

  1. I got to sleep late.  (A seminar at 9am vs. being at school at 645am?  yes please!!)
  2. We had our Public Charter School Board enrollment audit which I've been preparing for since literally my first week of work and everything went well and as far as I know all the paper work checked out.  (This is a big deal because we get money for every student who attends the school that is a DC resident so everyone has to prove that they are truly enrolled in the school based on attendance and actually live in DC.)
  3. We had our annual Fall Fest celebration to celebrate the end of Quarter 1 Exam week and we got to do lots of fun fall crafts and dance in the cafeteria to fun music.  LET ME TELL YOU, the 5th grade scholars at Achievement Prep sure as heck can teach you, me, and everyone and their mom how to dougie.
This is the 11th week of school which means it's my 17th week of work!  And I can't believe how cold it is here in DC -- it totally snowed over the weekend.

No comments: