Friday, January 7, 2011

Ringing in the New Year

The wind is quiet and the dirty piles of ice line the streets. All the gear is in place, but the uncertainty of such a change makes me almost want to stay home. “You have your new lobster gloves so now you don’t have an excuse,” I can hear her voice saying to me. Slowly, I begin to pedal down the nearly empty streets of Astoria, my breath rising in a steady rhythm. Up ahead I see another cyclist so I pick up speed and coast along with her until finally the Queensboro Bridge is in sight. As the bridge becomes steeper, I start to sweat and the winter breeze finally cools me as I pass over the East River, catching a glimpse of Roosevelt Island. Ringing my shiny bell all the way down, I arrive at work refreshed and without caffeine!

Another P55er Reilly inspired me to take the road and bike to work. With the MTA price hike, it is hard not to feel the $100 a month. Luckily, my job is a block away from the Queensboro Bridge exit so I have no problem getting to work. At first I was terribly fearful of the mean streets of NYC, but one becomes accustomed and even finds it exhilarating. For now, I ride along bike lanes because a part of me still dreads the car-dominated avenues, but I am certain that with time I will have the audacity to venture along other roads.

I think biking is one of the best ways to experience the city. Not only is it environmentally friendly and gives you killer legs, but it also forces you to explore new areas of the city. Who knew where York Avenue was or that 1st Ave. had a bike lane? Plus, the skyline is never as beautiful as when you ride home in the early evening as if you were a postmodern cowboy exiting the wilderness of lights! Huffing and puffing, you make your way home only to find the desire to ride again on such steel stallions.

Out riding,
Ale

No comments: