Thursday, January 13, 2011

Speeches and Shakespeare

Apologies for not blogging-- but in my defense, I’ve been busy. Good busy!

I am currently playing Olivia in a production of Twelfth Night down in Brooklyn. My first New York show! It’s a great show, and it is definitely a great thing to put on my theater resume! However, I am not going to lie, the post-work rehearsal schedule is extremely draining (mostly because of the hour long commute back to my home on the upper east side). Getting out of the subway at midnight everyday as a lady in the city? Not so much fun. Clearly, I 'can' survive doing a show on top of a nine-to-five job, but whether I 'should' is an entirely different question. To be answered at a later date.

Things on the fellowship front have been exciting as usual. This December, Fox, GLEE, and American Express Members Project endorsed Education Through Music as their collectively chosen charity. They organized an event with our ETM-LA branch affiliate, and about 60 kids got to perform in front of the GLEE cast. This was an amazing opportunity for us, because: firstly, it got our name out there to the millions of GLEEks in the world, and secondly, Members Project provided us with some funding without us having to write a grant (Always a wonderful thing!) The office was buzzing with excitement as the GLEE event drew closer. Our Executive Director and Director of Programs flew out to Los Angeles to help organize the kids’ performance and speak during the ceremony. Also, some Glee cast members said lovely things about ETM (which I will most definitely incorporate into our winter newsletter)!
The most exciting part of the GLEE event for me was crafting our Executive Director’s remarks. Apparently, no one in the office particularly likes speech writing and.... I happen to love speech writing! (Come on, who doesn’t want to be Sam Seaborn on the West Wing?? His secret service code name was Princeton, people! And yes, I am obsessed with that show.) Writing that speech was invigorating, and now I am apparently the “go-to girl” for persuasive language (which is fine by me!)

Things have quieted down since December. The snow storm in New York kept me trapped at home for a few days after the holidays, and upon my return I found a lot of donations waiting on my desk. Oh the joys of data entry! Now that it’s the new year, donations have slowed, and I am focusing more on developing new marketing materials for the organization, breaking into the world of corporate funding, and devising a new PR strategy.

All in all, life is good! I love my New York neighborhood, I am performing in a show, and I am still enjoying my job. As Spring approaches, however, I definitely want to make more time to explore the city and hang out with friends. And maybe sleep more. But I’d better suck it up, because the show must go on!
PS: If you are interested in coming to the show visit Flashpan Theater's website:
www.flashpantheater.org!

No comments: