Monday, January 10, 2011

With the New Year, some change... which isn't a new thing

First, it was the disappearance of our other Intern, back to England.

Then, our Communications Director, down to D.C. and the job of his dreams.

Then, our Project Director - ransacked for a special Project, by the State Board.

And now, our Director of Outreach - presented with an opportunity he couldn't refuse.

All this is to say... I'm now no longer "the new guy". Far from it. It'll be up to me, in part, to help get our new Director of Outreach settled in and up to speed with the oft-dizzying world of education. That'll start tomorrow.

And Wednesday marks my six-month point with the organization. Big. I've moved from new guy to old hand; I didn't know ESEA from ISBE, and now I'm juggling a spreadsheet with more asterisks in it than a list of baseball's top hundred home run hitters. (Sorry; baseball reference. I swear on my life that Ryan Howard's clean.)

I like this shift in perspective. Life's good here in Chicago, and I'm happy to be back in it. Vacation was great, but ultimately... it was just a departure, temporary immersion, a pleasant but finite holiday time. Time to get back into the swing and welcome a new co-worker.

Happy New Year, if a bit late, to all the Fellows.

No comments: